The Janitor is responsible for maintaining the Springfield office buildings and grounds in appearance and cleanliness. This individual serves in the capacity of general cleaning duties, sanitation detail, and other tasks that will maintain a clean, safe, and healthy environment. The Janitor may be responsible for opening and/or locking up the building if all other employees have left.
We have one FT position available. Hour will be between 1pm-10pm Mon-Fri.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs general cleaning duties required to maintain a neat, clean, and healthy environment.
- Cleans and sanitizes restrooms/locker rooms using established practices and procedure.
- Cleans, dusts, and wipes furniture, sweeps, mops, or vacuums floors; empties/cleans wastebaskets and trash containers; empties and cleans smoking area and cigarette urns; replaces light bulbs; refills restroom dispensers.
- Assists with the setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, events, etc. Assists with the putting down and taking up of mats in the gym.
- Strips, cleans, buffs, and applies floor sealer and floor finish to hard surface floors; vacuums and shampoos carpets.
- Uses and maintains assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, high pressure washers, high speed buffers and vacuums, brooms, mops, and squeegees for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc.
- Wash walls and equipment; use ladders when required in work assignments.
- Locks and unlocks assigned buildings; secures building when facilities are not in use, sets security alarm, turns off lights.
- Follows instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies. Mixes water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions according to specifications. Uses as directed.
- Assist the Director of Maintenance and the Director of Recreation and Education in the care and upkeep of the swimming pool and pool area.
- Performs cleaning and related activities such as removing snow or debris from sidewalks, stairs, and ramps within sixteen feet of the building.
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an incidental basis.
- Washes accessible interior and exterior windows. Cleans blinds. Launders cleaning rags and dust mops.
- Attends to emergencies when necessary.
- Takes classes as required in cleaning methods and techniques, new products.
- Handles recycling materials.
- Completes work orders and notifies the Director of Maintenance concerning the need for major repairs or additions to building operating systems.
- Assists with inventory control and security.
- Assists with the maintenance of the reserved fleet of vehicles; safely operates all vehicles and other job-related equipment.
- Takes initiative to problem solve when issues arise or consults a supervisor for the best course of action.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding program participants, etc. according to the Arc policies.
- Maintains a professional stance with coworkers, program participants, supervisors, etc.
- Abides by the personnel policies and procedures of The Arc of the Ozarks as a condition of employment.
- Completes other job duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Basic knowledge and understanding regarding sanitation, cleaning products, and health and safety.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- The ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- The ability to work effectively with others as a team.
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Good client/customer service skills.
- The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- The ability to maintain a record of punctuality and attendance.
- The ability to lift, push, or pull weights up to 75 lbs.
Minimum experience and Training Qualifications
Six months prior Janitorial experience preferred.